23/06/2008

Hairspray

Ik ben normaal niet zo van de musicals. Nou ja, de filmversie van Grease vind ik erg leuk, en the Sound of Music ook. Ik ben naar de Lion King in Scheveningen geweest en die was geweldig (was vooral onder de indruk van de kostuums). Maar de film Chicago vond ik nogal tegenvallen (ondanks de Oscars), Beauty en de Beast was wel OK en van Starlight Express en Aida was ik nou niet zo onder de indruk. Knap gedaan, dat wel, maar niet mijn ding.

Toen Hairspray werd verfilmd als musical had ik zo mijn twijfels. Ik kende het origineel van John Waters met Ricki Lake en vroeg me af of deze versie net zo goed zou zijn.

Dat is niet het geval. Hij is nl. veel beter!! De muziek is superaanstekelijk (terwijl ik dáár normaal juist niet van hou), Tracy is een schatje, Link een lekker ding, en John Travolta in een torselet is hilarisch! Ik heb 'm nu al zo'n 5x gezien en daar zal het waarschijnlijk niet bij blijven...



I normally don't particularly like musicals. Sure, I love Grease (who doesn't?) and the Sound of Music. I've seen the Lion King in the theater, which was awesome (especially liked the costumes). But I wasn't impressed with the movie Chicago (despite the Oscars), and the other shows I've seen live were either OK (Beauty and the Beast) or didn't float my boat at all (Starlight Express and Aida). Sure, they were well put together, but they're just not my thing I guess.

When Hairspray was remade into a movie musical I was a bit sceptical. I know the original by John Waters starring Ricki Lake and didn't know what to expect: could it be as good as the original?

It's not. It's a whole lot better! Great songs you can't get out of your head (and they are usually my least favourite part of a musical...), Tracy is a cutie, Link a stud, and John Travolta in ladies underwear ia hilarious! I think I've already seen it 5 times so far and I'm sure it'll be more...

No comments: